Sunday 12 January 2014

Market forces

In the words of Hannibal Smith in the A Team, “I love it when a plan comes together!” My plan was to turn the fleeces of my Ryeland sheep into useful items and take them to market. And it all came together at Wolvercote Farmers’ Market last weekend.

And I am delighted to say that the throws and scarves made for me from my wool by Curlew Weavers in Wales got a good reception from Sunday morning shoppers who frequent Oxford’s longest-running farmers’ market.

My ‘stock’ for the year arrived last week – and I was delighted by the quality of finish and design. I was also surprised by the sheer amount of product I got back. There are three sizes of throw, scarves and cushion covers in three designs.

We sent our bags full of rather scruffy fleeces off to Wales to be processed back in May, and they have been transformed into - even though I say so myself - beautiful and useful items. It was fantastic to know that all these items had come from our own flock, a result of good breeding and quite a bit of hard work.

It was also great to get my message about wool and why the heritage of this wonderful resource should be celebrated out to people who are genuinely interested in the subject. I also met some readers of this column – it is always great to know that your words are reaching people and not simply falling on deaf ears!

Farmers’ Markets like the one held at Wolvercote Primary School, First Turn, off Woodstock Road, every Sunday, are the lifeblood of small producers and craftspeople, allowing them to reach an audience which would otherwise be out of reach.

Since Wolvercote’s market began more than ten years ago in 2002 other farmers’ markets have grown up in and around the city in its wake. Unlike some markets who have paid staff, Wolvercote’s market is run as a not-for-a-profit organisation run by a group of volunteers who do everything from organising publicity to putting up gazebos on market day.

All the farm produce on sale is produced locally – in fact the majority of suppliers come from within a ten mile radius of Wolvercote and a few from the village itself. One of my favourite stalls is set up by the Natural Bread Company. But perhaps the most important thing is that produce is sold directly by the producers themselves. There are no middle-men, so you often get better value than you would at the supermarket. It is a bit of a myth that farmers’ markets are more expensive than regular shops. And you can talk to people about the products they grow or make.

There is also a great little café so you can enjoy breakfast after doing your weekly shop. There is a special festive market at Wolvercote this Sunday- the last chance to get some really local gifts and stocking-fillers. I look forward to seeing you there!

Find out more about Wolvercote Farmers’ Market at www.wolvercotefarmersmarket.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment